BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Needy Families and Cookies

Mood: happy; satisfied
Currently: sore
Listening to: Aymafurasetanmaina --Kagrra,

Why's it that ever volunteering event I've been to involves the lifting of heavy boxes and manual labor? Ahaha. So today for Octagon, I went to volunteer for this Needy Family Project that was going on. Well, first things first, the event was taking place in Town Center, where Old Linens and the Halloween Store used to be, which is right next to Borders. I got out of the car at about 9:05 and stared at the abandoned building with uncertainty. I approached the the glass door and it said "Optimists, pull door open." I assumed it applied to me, since Octagon is a branch under the international Optimist Club. I pulled the door open, and was surprised how it opened, since normally it opens for me, and well, yeah, I just thought it was interesting. I looked back to let my dad know that I figured out where the heck I was supposed to go, when I saw Theo (in case you don't know, he's the Octagon President) get out of his car. I waved hi in relief that there was someone who knew what to do better than I. So we entered the abandoned building together over to the back, where there was a group of adults and several tables brimming with boxes and bags of items. After shaking a few hands and introductions, Theo and I were immediately put to work (apparently we were the only two that signed up for the event). The time past by really quickly, actually, just like the Soup Kitchen. Anyhow, since I'm supposed to write an article about this event for the school newspaper, I brought paper and a pencil so I can quickly interview the people there, except Theo unintentionally asked several interest questions that I wouldn't have thought of. He'd make a good news writer. I can tell. Too bad he's a senior, we're going to be really short on staff next year, since most of our members right now are seniors. We're doomed next year! Especially since it's our advisor's last year, and according to the city mayor (Yes, he was there, too. I felt dazzled in his presence. I have never met anyone of huge importance besides the high school principal), they have yet to find a replacement for her. To explain why in the world the mayor was telling me this, interestingly enough, since I was wearing my Octagon shirt that also proudly stated which high school I was from, the mayor asked me if I knew Mrs. Beach. As the newspaper advisor, naturally I would know her. Enthusiastically, I told him this, and he found it interesting how I was in journalism. He gave me his card, telling me to give it to Mrs. Beach for him if she doesn't already have one. I stare at his card now, still a bit amazed that I was able to talk to him. Anyhow, we finished delivering boxes into trucks (where Optimist members drove to this faraway neighborhood to deliver the packages to needy families), we cleaned up the building a bit. When it was around 11:40 Theo and I went to Borders, stared at the books in the front of the store and went upstairs to the cafe. I pried for some quotes from Theo, since surely, my page editor would demand some quotes from the Octagon Club President. Around 11:50 Theo's mother called his cell phone and he left to go home. I sat there for a while, jotting down a few notes before calling my own mother. She said she would be there in about ten minutes (as to why, I haven't a clue). That gave me just enough time for my little side mission. I went back downstairs and out the store, heading to Bath and Body Works. Why? To buy a stuffed animal. If you guys haven't been there recently, there's these moose and polar bear mascots for Bath and Body works this season, and they're rather adorable. I saw them last time with my sister when I was scouting for presents in the mall. My sister actually wanted to buy one, but I was already getting one for a friend of mine, so she didn't get one, too. Well, I took that thought into consideration, that and the fact she was playing with the one we bought a few days ago, and decided to buy one for her. I bought the doll along with two pocket antibacterial hand gel (since you get the doll half off with another purchase at regular price, but I got two, since I love pocket antibacterial hand gel, simply because I can put it in my pocket). I would have gotten five antibacterial hand gels (five for five dollars deal, but buying them separately, it's a dollar fifty) but I only had ten dollars on me, so I wouldn't have been able to pay for tax. Well, anyhow, I stood outside the store like a hobo until my parents picked me up. Once home, I started to make pizza for lunch. I ate while chatting with some people online, wasted time on Facebook, and watched anime while playing free cell. I'd say, "break is truly divine," but truthfully, I almost do this everyday. I really need to fix my habits. At two, I had art class, as always, failed at painting, came home and took a nice three hour naps. Dude, my sister and my mom baked cookies without me, not only that, they didn't wake me up when they finished, I felt insulted. Ahaha, not really, but you know what I mean. Nothing beats fresh baked cookies after all! Anyhow, basically I just wasted the rest of my day and talking to people on AIM. Though I did have a very interesting, as well as hilarious, phone call with Yasmin for maybe an hour and a half before admitting I had to go to the bathroom. Since I was going to the bathroom, I showered while I was at it. Chatted on AIM some more. And yeah. A slightly eventful day, today was. Heh, though I'm really just looking forward to tomorrow. The reason why shall be revealed later . . .

0 comments: