BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Soup Kitchen

Mood: happy; strangely solemn
Currently: wondering if I should go steal food from my kitchen
Listening to:;">PSI-missing --Mami Kawada

"Be grateful for the food you got, and be happy with what you get, because one day you may not be blessed with such things." --JJS

So today I went to the Soup Kitchen today with Revathi and her dad to volunteer. It was pretty fun, though it wasn't what I expected, work-wise. First when we got there, it seemed kind of confusing as to where we were supposed to go, but other workers helped us along the way. We went into this room where we had to fill in a form and wait for other volunteers to come in. We got food too. There was pizza, chicken, fruits, and churros! The churros were so goot, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, coated with a beautiful coat of sugar. Anyhow, after more volunteers and the supervisor of the event came, there was a brief orientation, where we got an explaination as to what we needed to do and then we got assigned tasks. Revathi and I were to guide the families down the assembly line, where they would pick up their boxes of food, hygiene products, and a toy. Most of the time, we carried the boxes for them though, so I think that was the main part of our job. Besides the fact that most of the families spoke in Spanish (which is where Revathi and I started to really regret that we didn't take Spanish in teh 8th grade) and that the boxes were relatively heavy, the job was pretty easy. Though I must admit my muscles feel a little sore now. Heh, before, Revathi was flexing her muscles, saying that she felt like she was geting buffer. Anyhow, Revathi told me that the volunteering was from 12-5PM, but it actually ended around 3. So I came home early then slept until dinner. Even though our tasks weren't hard, I still felt a bit drowsy afterwards. All in all, I don't think I did too bad for my first volunteer job.

0 comments: