BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 1, 2010

Rose Parade Decorating

Mood: happy; bleh
Currently: doing my history project
Listening to: SKY-2-HIGH --Skankfunk [Air Gear ED]

Since I never felt like talking about it before:
--Date: 9/29/09 Time: 12:08AM Place: Kitchen Mood: Happy; Hyper Currently: eating pizza rolls Listening to: the hum of the refrigerator; the ticking of the clock Subject: OH MY GAAAWD
"AND THEN SHE WAS ALL LIKE, 'Oh no you didn't,' and I was all like, 'spank 'em'." NO YASMIN, NO. So today (technically it was yesterday, but I'll just say "today" so I won't confuse myself) I all went to the Rose Parade decorating thing with Diana and Yasmin. I was supposed to go yesterday morning but I had a bad cold and I like my throat was dying on me, so my parents called Heritage, telling them I couldn't go. Anyways, I went into the Heritage multipurpose room to sign in, only to see Yasmin's FACE. Yeah, it was beautiful. So then she was like, "Hiiii", and I was like "-waves-". I killed it. So we signed out little green paper things, got our "decorator" badge and a Cerritos Rose Parade pin. We went outside and sat randomly in the bus. Soon after, we saw Diana and her sister walk into the building, after she signed in, she came onto the buss and sat in front of us. Dude, I'm out of pizza rolls already. I'll type out the rest on my blog.--
And so here I am. So here's a brief sketch out of what happened that day for the volunteering event. On the bus, Yasmin was playing games on her i-pod, with me sitting next to her and laughing at all her epic fails while Diana was sitting there quietly in front of us. Eventually Yasmin forced me to play her games, which I got attached to quickly. I remember Yasmin and Diana saying random stuff about how outside looked like we were going to one of those bases where they research about aliens or something. Then Diana was going on how we were all going to get killed and used for manure. No, I don't know them at all. It didn't seem like it was a long until we reached the warehouse location. Except first we went to this tent that had chairs, tables, and most importantly, food. I helped myself to some of the hot chocolate that was provided, and Yasmin kept saying that you have to pour in the hot water first before you put in the powder to do it right. Geez, it was like the "does the milk or the cereal go in first?" thing, but seriously, it doesn't even matter as long as you enjoy the crazy thing, it's all the same when it gets to your stomach. After munching on a granola bar, we all wandered out the tent and into the warehouse, because we thought we had to do something, except we were totally lost, so we went back to the tent. Apparently there was a guy who was slowly taking people out in groups to be assigned tasks. Eventually Diana, Yasmin, and I were led back into the warehouse to do a weird job that required us to glue the main float figure's leg and put coconut powder on it. It sucked because his leg was bent weirdly, so the three of us had to sit in very uncomfortable positions while attempting to get the coconut on. It only took us forever, but we got the job done. Around then, I think, it was time for dinner and we left to go back into the tent to have some Mexican food. It was good, though the beef, or whatever it was, was all burnt, so it wasn't all that appetizing, but overall, the food was good. When we went back to the warehouse, Diana was sent to do some weird task, which I swear, every time I saw her, she was just following people. Anyhow, Yasmin and I, however, had to climb up to sit on a rickety scaffold to put coconut on the figure's hand, which was kind of creepy since it felt like we might have fallen if we weren't careful. However, when we finished the task, we were put back on land to stick fir branches onto the float base itself. At some point, we met up with Diana again, doing the same job. Time rolled by and soon it was time to leave. On the bus, Yasmin pulled out her handy i-pod once again, but this time, made me listen to her music and sing the lyrics that she had on the i-pod. It was pretty hilarious, and Diana kept turning around to beat Yasmin up, despite that, she kept singing. Then we got back and I went home, finding myself a bit hungry. I heated up pizza rolls, then started writing down what happened in this random journal I had.
Argh, I don't feel like writing what I did the other day. To be really quick about it, Diana didn't come the next day because she wasn't feeling well and Yasmin didn't sign up for it, so I went alone. The work was okay, though I was about thirty feet off the ground, standing on a sad excuse of a scaffold, because it was like a thick, old, rickety piece of driftwood. For about two hours, I was smelling coconut and glue, working on the main figure's collar and the back of his head, which was really hard to reach. It was pretty creepy because I had to walk around everywhere on the scaffolds in order to get a better reach, and if I fell one way, I'm pretty much dead, but if I fall the other way, I'll probably end up punching a huge hole in the float, so I had to rely on my balance skills and took periodic breaks in between my work so I don't end up doing something careless. Finally, when I was done, it was time for lunch, which was good, a ham and cheese wrapped in corn tortilla. There was also a cup of fruit and pasta in the plastic box. I think the food was from a catering place called Picasso's. One way or another, the food was good. The rest of the time, I was cleaning off the coconut residue on the collar and brushing off the scaffolds. When I finally got a chance to get off the ridiculously high boards, I was stuck gluing small red beans, one by one, on the roof of this boat-like object. It was very boring work and the only fun involved was the fact that Steve Nam from school was there, being crazy and all, was having an interesting quarrel with Racheal Lee and Michelle Lin. After who knows how long, finally it was time to go.

0 comments: