BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Miracles are Harder to Believe than Others

Mood: happy; feeling like something huge and heavy was lifted from my shoulders
Currently: relieved
Listening to: Incomplete --The Last Goodnight

You know how I'm in journalism? And you now have I have to sell ads to get a better grade and stuff? Okay, so everyone was sent on a mission to sell ads to tuxedo and flower places since prom is right around the corner. I actually stole mine from a friend who said she could always sell ads to her family's restaurant. Norwalk Tuxedo. Because I'm dumb and irresponsible, I had my mom drive me all the way over there to talk to them, but it's pretty far away, and also, the person who I needed to talk to wasn't even there. So the person at the cash register told me to call Monday or something, and the person would be there. Since I didn't particularly notice any business cards lying around, I left. Granted, my mom was pretty ticked since not only I didn't accomplish much, we also got lost on the way there, so we wasted a bunch of time (and gas). I came back home, looked up their number online, and thought it was all good, right?
Monday came, and I have always hated calling people and such, so I was a tad nervous. I finally took a deep breath and dialed. The line was busy. Don't you hate when that happens? I was so frustrated. Anyhow, I waited a little, called again and again, until finally it started to ring. Then suddenly it says, "This phone is disconnected or no longer in service." So I was like what the heck? I kept calling again and again though, out of hopeless determination and hope. Then I finally gave up and decided to think of something later on, I had a bunch of other stuff that I had to do. However, today, my mom was being persistent about it and pulled out the Yellowbook, which also got my sister involved. My sister found another number somehow under another Norwalk Tuxedo place, so I decided to call and try my luck. Bingo.
It wasn't the same business, though. According to the guy I was talking to, Brandon, the store I went to closed, which confused me greatly. I was there just a few days ago, and now they're closed? It was inconceivable. (Though my sister made a good point saying, "Well yeah, even if they aren't closed, they're competitors. What would they do, say, 'Oh yeah, here's their number, go advertise their business.'") But earlier in the conversation I said something about asking if the business wanted to buy an ad, so Brandon was like, "So what are you selling an ad for again? The newspaper?" Then I continued to explain how I was selling ads for my school's newspaper since prom was coming around. When he heard that he offered to buy the ad instead! Talk about convenient luck, huh? I told him about the deadlines and the prices and such, and he wanted to buy $70 worth of ads. And by the way, I'm required to sell $50 by the end of the semester, so I'm pretty much celebrating right now--I hate going out and trying to persuade businesses to buy ads because I'm trying to asking people to spend money on an advertisement that honestly, not too many people even look at. Regardless, if all goes well, I will be able to increase my grade slightly, which makes me want to cheer because I have a 'C' in journalism, which is pretty darn sad . . .

0 comments: